From Bulbanews, your community Pokémon newspaper.
Second-lowest ever in Pokémon history
- Thursday, December 21, 2006
|| This article brought to you by Bulbanews, your community Pokémon newspaper.
Link to this article
- [url=//bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Final_box_office_earnings_for_ninth_Pok%C3%A9mon_movie_announced] Final box office earnings for ninth Pokémon movie announced[/url]
- <a href="//bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Final_box_office_earnings_for_ninth_Pok%C3%A9mon_movie_announced"> Final box office earnings for ninth Pokémon movie announced</a>
The final box office earnings for the ninth Pokémon movie, Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea: Manaphy, have been revealed to be ¥3.4 billion (US$29 million), which are the second lowest earnings in history of Pokémon, falling just behind the fourth movie at ¥3.9 billion but ahead of the fifth movie at ¥2.67 billion. However, the ninth movie is the fifth-highest earning Toho movie of the year, facing stiff competition from Gorō Miyazaki's Tales from Earthsea, among others.
The situation is thought to be similar to that of the fifth movie - a dip in interest in between releases of major games in the series. Furthermore, there was tough competition from other movies. Unlike the other three Advanced Generation movies, the advance-ticket promotion for the ninth movie did not involve a mainstream Pokémon RPG - this is also thought to have had an impact on sales.
Pokémon Ranger and the Prince of the Sea: Manaphy will be released on Region 2 DVD in Japan tomorrow.
Pokémon movies by box office earnings in Japan
- Source: ぽけあに
2006 Toho movies by box office earnings
- Source: 文化通信
- ↑ US dollar figures calculated using the exchange rate in August of that year; US dollar rankings may not match Yen rankings
- ↑ US dollar figures calculated using exchange rates at time of writing
- ↑ Forecast; movie is still screening in cinemas