Information on European VGC nationals revealed
Today, The Pokémon Company International has announced the various locations and dates for the European nationals for the 2012 Pokémon Video Game Championships. The dates and locations for the European leg are as follows:
- UK: March 3 (Saturday), Birmingham NEC: Hall 11
- Germany: March 10 (Saturday), Essen, Messe Essen, Halle 1A
- France: March 17 (Saturday), Paris, Espace Champerret, Hall C
- Spain: March 24 (Saturday), Madrid, IFEMA, Pabellón 5
- Italy: April 1 (Sunday), Milan, Centro Congressi Milanfiori, Strada 1
Like last year, participants will be sorted into three age divisions, although the cap for each division has been decreased:
- Junior division: born 2001 or later; cap of 175 (UK, Spain), 100 (Germany, France, Italy)
- Senior division: born 1997, 1998, 1999 or 2000; cap of 275 (UK, Spain), 200 (Germany, France, Italy)
- Master division: born 1996 or earlier; cap of 450 (UK, Spain), 300 (Germany, France, Italy)
The rules this year's championships were already previously announced; the championships this year now allow the use of Pokémon from past generations, but participants must still make use of the Generation V games Pokémon Black and White. In the case of these nationals, participants must make use of European versions of the games. A Player ID from the Pokémon Trainer Club must also be brought.
All of the Top 4 in each age division, as opposed to last year's Top 2, will win free travel and accommodation to the World Championships in Waikaloa, Hawaii on Aug. 10 to 12; winners under 18 will also receive travel and accommodation for one accompanying adult. They will also win trophies, an invitation to the world championships, and corresponding championship points.
The events for the VGC were first held during the North American regionals last Nov. 13, the earliest it has ever been done. Following the aforementioned Autumn Regionals, the Spring Regionals will take place on April 15, while the North American nationals will take place June 30 and July 1 at the Indiana Convention Center.