Chinese names revealed for latest anime
From Bulbanews, your community Pokémon newspaper.Jump to navigationJump to search
Anime characters, Pokémon translated
The official Taiwanese website for the Pokémon anime has released the first set of fifth generation Chinese translations. This follows news earlier today that some species and characters have been localized into English.
In the Chinese dub of Best Wishes! (known locally as 超級願望 Chāojí Yuànwàng):
- The Isshu region (Unova in English) is renamed as 合眾地方 Hézhòng Region, 合眾 meaning "united".
- Iris will be known as 艾莉絲 Àilìsī, which is a transliteration of her Japanese name. Dent will be known as 天桐 Tiāntóng, a rough transcription of his Japanese name. Professor Araragi will be known as 紅豆杉博士 Dr. Hóngdòushān, 紅豆杉 referring to the Chinese yew. The official name for Shooti remains unknown.
- The Grass-type Tsutarja (already released in English as Snivy) will be known as 藤藤蛇 Téngténgshé. The Fire-type Pokabu (Tepig) will be known as 暖暖豬 Nuǎnnuǎnzhū. The Water-type Mijumaru (Oshawott) will be known as 水水獺, Shuǐshuǐtà.
- Yanappu will be known as 花椰猴 Huāyéhóu, a combination of 花椰菜 (cauliflower) and 猴 (monkey). Kibago will be known as 牙牙 Yáyá, 牙 meaning "tooth", "ivory".
- The names of legendary Pokemon Reshiram and Zekrom were also released. Reshiram will be known as 雷希拉姆 Léixīlāmǔ. Zekrom will be known as 捷克羅姆 Jiékèluómǔ. Both names are transliterations of their Japanese name.
The series is expected to air sometime around 2011.
- Best Wishes minisite (Chinese)